Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Art, Your Interpretation


This is a photograph that I took last semester and it makes me laugh every time I see it. I posted it because I thought about it in regards to literacy and a lot of things came to mind. First, because the fact that I set up the scene and shot photo it has a different meaning to me. I know how it was done and I know why I did it. Therefore, it has a different meaning to me than someone looking at it for the first time. Then it leads me to think of the different kinds of reactions I would receive from viewers because of the background knowledge they would bring to looking at it. There are different kinds of background knowledge one could bring to this photo. If the viewer knew me and the kind of art I have made in the past they will interpret it differently than someone that does not know me. There are so many ways someone could interpret this photo and as an artist I am constantly thinking and analyzing how my work will effect my viewers.

2 comments:

  1. I know Katie and I know her art- she is always leaving everything up to the viewer's interpretation. In our sculpture class she made this big 'blob' thing (she called it that too), and we were so confused at what it meant. We were all brainstorming, coming up with these concepts, applying our past experiences and knowledge and Katie was all secretive, not telling us anything. It just shows again there are many, many ways of interpreting art and everyone brings what they know to the discussion. As an art teacher I need to remember that everyone's interpretation is correct and my students analyze artwork based off of what they know.

    Katie, you are so tricky. I still don't know what that blob sculpture was about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about art, but I have always been afraid to share my interpretation, or even to interpret a peice of art because I always felt that I would see it in the wrong way. It's good to know that everyone's interpretation in correct. I don't however know how to interpret your photo Katie. It's a really cool photo and I've been sitting here for about 20 minutes looking at it, and I still don't know what to make of it. I like that you leave the interpretation up to the viewer.

    ReplyDelete