Sunday, May 10, 2009

Recipes


I am the worst cook ever, so I rely so much on recipes and reading them word for word so that I do not mess up the dish. I went to the Guiness factory in Ireland and I appreciated their step-by-step process of how they made the Guiness. This is a sign about what goes into a Guiness. It is important that the recipe directions are clear and straight forward otherwise someone might create an unhealthy meal or just a meal that does not taste good at all. I think that literacy can be found in recipes because of its readability.

2 comments:

  1. This is too funny because one of the things that I was thinking about this week were the things in the world I was illiterate in. While I put on my post that one thing was gardening, the other major contender was cooking. I am very good at heating things up but the cooking part is difficult for me. I am a person that needs organization and strive on step by step precise directions. Without those I have difficulty. I sometimes have a difficulty reading cookbooks, especially my grandma's, that use terminology of a "pinch" or "to taste." I do not know the meanings behind these things and want an exact amount. Unlike gardening, I do want to learn how to cook and how much a "pinch" is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never thought of a recipe as a form of literacy but it's clear now, if only I had thought about the phrase, "read a recipe"! This is a perfect example of literacy in that you have to know how the terminology of a recipe as well as having to be somewhat good at cooking if you plan to have your recipe come out the way it's supposed to. I agree with Mary, I am not good at cooking, I can work the microwave though!

    ReplyDelete